Wednesday 15 February 2012

Top X Things Missing From Star Wars Miniatures

Back in the day I really loved playing a bit of Star Wars Miniatures. it was a fast, fun and simple system that had plenty of depth and variety in the play. Plus, it was Star Wars. Everything's better with Lightsabers. Sadly due to various reasons I kind of drifted out of it and stopped collecting, although the line went on for quite a few sets after that before it finally got killed. In many ways it seemed reasonable that it ended when it did. After all, how many Darth Vaders does one man REALLY need?

However, having said that there's actually a metric shit-ton of stuff that they could have made but didn't. And since I've recently had my passion for Star Wars rekindled, (and thus my desire for collecting and playing SW Minis has ignited in a fairly severe way) I've been thinking about what I'd really like to see in the minis game but never will. Stuff like....



Mini Rigs

Seriously, if I had to pick just one thing to made into a mini, it would almost certainly be this thing:


The CAP-2. I mean, just LOOK at it. It has a claw, a hook, a blaster and a disturbing rear mounted capture device reminiscent of a trash compactor. I admit that this one is a personal childhood favourite, but also check out these:



One of the cool things Star Wars minis did was the Huge miniatures. I liked having big tanks and monsters available, but the selection was always a little off, with some factions being rather underrepresented in terms of bigness, whilst others were rather dominant. The mini-rigs straddle the line between Large and Huge close enough that you could probably most of them as either, but it would give a bit more variety. And let's face it, they are just inherently cool.


I mean, FLYING GUN COFFIN. Seriously.

So, abilities wise I'd say something like

CAP-2 - Fringe (since Bossk drives one), Wall Climber (Suction cup feet, baby) Double Claw Attack and Paralysis in melee to represent the whole capturing bit.

MLC-3 - Rebel faction, Twin Attack and reasonably high damage and armour, probably not loads of hit points though as it's only small.

MTV-7 - Imperial I guess. Give it Wheeled or Charging Fire, and maybe something to let it ignore difficult terrain.

AST-5 - Fringe again. Give it Flight, Double Attack and a low defense. But then give it something that increases it's defense if it doesn't move. It's basically a mobile turret after all.

Oh, speaking of Huge Miniatures....

Trade Federation Tank (AAT)


Okay, I freely admit that the Seperatists got most of the Huge minis (aside from Fringe anyway), but somehow they never actually managed to make one of these, which I think is real shame. Say what you like about episode 1 (many already have, you won't be alone), but it did have some really nice design work. I suppose that making the tank wouldn't have really added much as it would just be another big armoured high damage type thing. But if you properly want to run a Gungan extermination scenario you really want the thematically appropriate vehicles.

In terms of stats and abilities probably Flight, Droid, a high defense or maybe Damage Reduction. Then it should deal medium damage if it moves or high damage if it doesn't. Say 20 damage as a base but give it like Deadeye +20 or something.

And whilst we're talking about exterminating things from episode 1...

Young Anakin Skywalker


Yeah, I said it. Baby Anakin. I have no idea  what his abilities or stats might look like. I have no idea what the point of the figure would be. But I want to be able to kill him. I mean, they made Younglings in one of the sets, so the whole morality argument about killing children in a game is fairly moot.

Why do they come to me to die?

Actually, thinking about it you could make baby Anakin a fringe character who dispenses force points and dumb luck to allies within 6 squares or something. Shit, that might actually be GOOD.

More Ewoks


Some people don't like the Ewoks I know, but then some people don't think the Holocaust actually happened. You can't always be right about everything. Now, we got a few non uniques and a hanglider which is cool, and Wicket and Logray. But what about the other characters? Where's Cheif Chirpa and Paploo? What about Teebo and his awesome hat? Maybe even a catapult? I mean, none of them necissarily have to be GOOD, but I'd like it if a few more of them were there. If for no other reason than to troll tournaments by turning up with a squad built entirely of Ewoks and Gungans.

And yes, I did used to watch the Ewoks cartoon. Which is why I also want to see..

Morag


The evil Tulgah sorceress from the Ewoks cartoon. Sculpted in a less cartoony style she could actually be the anti-Yoda. At least in terms of appearance. Just give her some creepy evil force powers and away we go. And you know how I mentioned earlier that I have a certain fondness for the Huge sized figures? Well at some point in the cartoon this happens:


Could you REALLY say no to a giant dark side lava monster. Of course not. Well, not unless you're Darth Vader, who aside from not being particularly enamoured of lava for some reason seems to say "No" to pretty much everything these days.


And whilst we're talking about cartoons that Lucasfilm can't be bothered to properly release how about we have..

Gaff


I don't remember a lot about Droids I admit, but I do remember this guy. A crazy poisonous insect dude. Actually, that's about all I remember about him, but that's enough right? Melee Attack, Posion, Paralysis. Doesn't have to be fancy.

Max Rebo (and the Rebo Band)


Okay, I know what you're thinking. He's a musician. This is supposed to be a skirmish combat game. How does that even work? Well, they made Han Solo in Carbonite a playable character. No reason you couldn't do something with this adorable fellow. The way I see it you could do the whole Rebo band, and maybe even the Modal Nodes as well. Although I'd be tempted to do the Modal Nodes all together on a large base. But you could easily just give the pieces some fun little commander effects and sit them at the back of the field, inspiring the troops. Let Max give all Twi'Lek followers Mobile Attack or something, that would work and be in character.

At the very least I'd want to see an Ortolan Mercenary or something. Blue elephants with guns would be pretty hilarious.

Beilert Valance


First things first, I actually had to look this guy up to find out his name. I never really got to read any of the old Marvel Star Wars comics, but I'd at least seen them. And if there's one thing that sticks with you it's the image of Darth Vader vs the Space Terminator. Apparently he's some sort of crazy cyborg bounty hunter. All I really know is he looks cool and I would be chuffed as fuck to pull him out of a booster.

Malakili


In all probability if he got made he'd just be a Varactyl Wrangler with more hit points, but that's hardly the point. It's a given fact that in pretty much any game I play a Rancor it is the first thing to die. So why not add in a character with Impulsive Mourning and do things properly?

IG-88A


You may find this entry to my wishlist a little confusing. After all, there are already several IG-88 minis in the game. But that's rather the point, because there's several IG-88's in Star Wars as well. In the books the original IG-88 after attaining self awareness uploads copies of his mind into 3 other droids of the same model. Whenever IG-88 is seen it is actually, unbeknownst to the galaxy at large merely one of the four providing a distraction whilst the rest work on fomenting a robot rebellion. So why not use that in the game. Have a big expensive IG-88 who allows you to use multiple IG-88s in the same squad. Maybe give him Rapport for non unique droids or Fire Control or something and let the robot revolution begin!

More Yuuzhan Vong


Now two things are immediatly obvious about the Yuuzhan Vong. Firstly that they're my favorite faction, and secondly that there's really not many of them available. I know that there's a few decent non-uniques that I need to catch up, but really they still need a couple of extra characters. There's still quite a few to choose from, though top of my list would be the shaper Nen Yim. And I'm sure you could do a t least a couple of more versions of Nom Anor with different effects. Supreme Overlord Shimrra could be fun in a massively expensive single figure beatstick from hell kind of way, or mayber even Onimi (Dominate and Betrayal). Really I think they missed a trick with the existing Yuuzhan Vong figures. I get that they're not really popular enough in fandom to warrant the same level of support as some of the factions, but I think they could have taken advantage of this by having some Shaper pieces that could then apply special effects and support to the various Savage Fringe characters. After all, having a bunch of hideous beasties would certainly fit in with the whole bio-tech angle. And what's not to love about a Rancor with Jedi Hunter and Force Immunity?

Dark Forces 1 Kyle Katarn


Don't get me wrong, the Jedi Knight Kyle Katarns' are cool and all, but wouldn't it be nice to have the original Rebel version. The version with FAR TO MANY GUNS? Give him 10 damage, Mobile Attack and Grenades, and then maybe something with say Disintegration and 20 damage if he doesn't move. The sooner we can start reinacting Dark Forces the better.

Yak Face


I don't even necessarily mean Sael-Marae himself. I'd just like a Yakora Spy or something because I happen to like Yak-Face. He was one of my favourite figures when I was younger.

You can all be jealous now if you want, I've still got him somewhere.

Dexter Jettster

I have to admit that Dexter Jettster would probably be the walking definition of a junk rare, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't include him in my squads all the damn time. Yeah, he's kinda goofy, but he always struck me as a fun character with a bit of story potential. Cetainly more than you get from Aurra bloody Sing. I doubt he's have particularly high stats, but you could easily give him Melee Attack, Double Attack and Twin Attack. Maybe throw in Affinity for Obi-Wan. Am I really the only one who finds the idea of a four armed alien chef trying to hack up Darth Vader with meat cleaver amusing?

Freckers


It is a simple fact that of all the myriad stories set in the Star Wars universe, the best ones involve Jabba The Hutt. And of those the very best are the set of Jabba The Hutt comics Dark Horse did way back whenever. The Freckers are sentient Weasel Assassins that appear one of those comics. Mechanically I pretty much see them as Ewoks only with Deadly Attack. But they'd make a fun Common you have to admit.

Hoojibs

Actually I'm not just filling this list with small stupid furry things everyone hates just to be awkward. In this case I'm doing mainly so that in addition to the Hoojibs we also get a Slivith.


I do love my Star Wars beasties. Well, that and I used to have The Planet Of The Hoojibs audio cassette when I was but a Youngling. I wonder where I can get a copy of that these days?

Movie Accurate Boba Fett



Look, we've been through this before. Boba Fett is useless. I think we should have mini that accurately represents what we see on screen. His special abilities would include Useless Coward (can only attack when at least 3 other allies combine fire), Savage vs Jedi (Must end his movement in base contact with a character with a Lightsaber if possible) and of course Magic Rocket Pants (if an adjacent enemy hits this character in combat your opponent may move this character up to 12 squares towards the nearest Pit. This character moves as if it had Flight until it reaches the pit). Maybe we should throw in Colourblind (may not target a character called Lando Calrissian) as well. Not really much point assigning him a damage rating since he never actually hits anything. Although I suppose to be fair he should also have Fanboy Rage (when this character is defeated you may attempt to the flip the table. If you succeed, storm out in a huff and the game is declared a draw).

No comments:

Post a Comment