Saturday 25 April 2015

Unimaginatively Titled Minis Post Part The Umpteenth.

Funny thing, time. I never seem to have enough of it to do anything. But if I'm not actually doing anything, shouldn't I have some time on my hands? Or am I just being logical about this?

Anyway, whilst I think I've probably been spending most of my time either being really stressed and depressed or compulsively reading Discworld books in order to try and escape being really stressed and depressed I did at least manage to finish of a couple of bits of painting. Although that was a couple of weeks ago I think?

Maybe I just have no idea how time actually works any more. That would explain a lot. Still, point is I managed to get a tiny bit of something constructive done, so let's have a look shall we?




Yup. Barrels. Exciting, huh? Thing is I really liked how the one of these I made before turned out, so I wanted to do some more. I figured they might be handy points of scenery should I ever actually get as far as trying to have a game of anything. As before, these are just GW 40K plastic barrels with the top cut out and a bit of fire from Black Cat bases stuck in. Simple, but effective.


A| slightly more advanced piece of scenery comes in the form of this monument. Which was originally from the Village Of Fear expansion for Dark World. Don't worry though, I'd already destroyed the collectors value years ago first time I tried to make it into scenery. The skull bosses down the middle came from an ancient toy line called Hero Gladiators. Which is apparently obscure as fuck. So that whole collectors value issue just keeps getting worse I guess. Still, I've always felt it my duty to drive up the prices of everyone else's figures by taking mine out of the packet and actually playing with them.

The only real problem I have with this piece is that it highlighted to me the simple problem that I'm never going to get around to trying to run an actual game of anything as long as I have something I think I can make into a piece of scenery hanging around. And I can make scenery out of all kinds of stuff. My shelves will look great, my table will continue to go unused.


Now for some actual minis! Here we have Stampy the Protoceratops from Fenris Miniatures. A nice little Dino for 28mm.  I must confess that one of the mjor reasons I bought him was that I was getting some other bits and bobs and figured fuck it, why not? So I didn't really have much clue of what I wanted to do with him when it came to painting. Since I'd already done some predatory dino types in a blue colour scheme I'm kinda regretting the way I did him to be honest. Probably should have gone with something a bit more earthy in tone. Still, I can always strip him down and start again if it really bugs me. Shouldn't take long, he's only little.


On the opposite end of the size spectrum we find Steg O' The Dump, also from Fenris. Who, as you may guess, was one of the main things I was after when placing the aforementioned order with Stampy. This is a lovely sculpt, very well detailed. Actually I think this is probably the first thing in resin I've had that I really liked. Admittedly mostly I tend to get bases and accessories. But that bloody Brachiosaurus was such a nightmare it kinda put me off.

Anyway, I went for a fairly plain colour scheme, much in line with the Stegosaurs I'd done for Dino Might before. I have to admit that it was REALLY tempting to try and cover him tattoos or something, but I know that there's no way I'd be able to pull that sort of thing off. I really didn't want to spoil such a nice mini by wrecking the paint job with sloppy patterns.

What I am tempted to do is buy another one to get creative on. Because if there's one thing that I think that this guy needs it's a giant fucking minigun instead of a club. Aside from the amount of work that would involve with repositioning the arms and hands in order to hold such a fire arm, the major problem is simply in finding one that's actually large enough. It would need to be at least the size of the club after all. Probably have to get a vehicle mounted autocannon, or just try and scratchbuild something. It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment